Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fasting

Isaiah 58
  • Most of this chapter is about fasting.
President Henry B Eyring, “Is Not This the Fast That I Have Chosen?”, April 2015 General Conference
[The law of the fast] is a commandment so simple that a child can understand it. It is a commandment with a wonderful promise for those in need and for us.”
...
"Just as the receipt of the blessing of your fast offering and mine can change hearts, so does fasting for the good of another."
...
"That which is not needed to help people in your local Church unit will become available to bless other Church members across the world who are in need."


Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness (1969), 98.
“Rich promises are made by the Lord to those who fast and assist the needy. … Inspiration and spiritual guidance will come with righteousness and closeness to our Heavenly Father. To omit to do this righteous act of fasting would deprive us of these blessings.”

Isaiah 58:6-7
6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Welfare Agricultural Meeting, Apr. 3, 1971), copy of typescript, 14, Church History Library, Salt Lake City.
“The tremendous blessings that come [from fasting] have been spelled out in every dispensation, and here the Lord is telling us through this great prophet why there is fasting, and the blessings that come from fasting. … If you analyze … the 58th chapter of the book of Isaiah you will find unraveled why the Lord wants us to pay fast offerings, why he wants us to fast.” (Harold B Lee,“Listen, and Obey”
Alma 5:45-46

 45 And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
 46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.
Acts 11:2
 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

No comments:

Post a Comment