Sunday, December 29, 2013

Scripture Reading/Study/Feasting

Robert D Hales, Eternal Life—to Know Our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, October 2014 General Conference
In this process, seeking for personal revelation is a key. Nephi invites each of us to ‘feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.’4

Doctrine and Covenants 11:21
21 Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men.

First Presidency, in Teaching the Gospel in the Savior’s Way (a guide to Come, Follow Me: Learning Resources for Youth, 2012), 2

“The most important part of your service will be your own daily spiritual preparation, including prayer, scripture study, and obedience to the commandments. We encourage you to dedicate yourself to living the gospel with greater purpose than ever before.”

Elder Adrian Ochoa, Look Up, October 2013 General Conference

"If you will not treasure up the words of Christ and listen closely to the promptings of the Spirit, you will be deceived"

Mosiah 1:5
5 I say unto you, my sons, were it not for these things, which have been kept and preserved by the hand of God, that we might read and understand of his mysteries, and have his commandments always before our eyes, that even our fathers would have dwindled in unbelief, and we should have been like unto our brethren, the Lamanites, who know nothing concerning these things, or even do not believe them when they are taught them, because of the traditions of their fathers, which are not correct.


John 5:39

 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Elder Quentin L Cook, In Tune with the Music of Faith, General Conference April 2012

One of the underlying premises of Lehi’s vision is that faithful members must hold fast to the rod of iron to keep them on the strait and narrow path leading to the tree of life. It is essential for members to read, ponder, and study the scriptures.”

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball (2006), 67

“I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns.”

Elder Richard G Scott, How to Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life, General Conference April 2012

When I am faced with a very difficult matter, this is how I try to understand what to do. I fast. I pray to find and understand scriptures that will be helpful. That process is cyclical.”

No comments:

Post a Comment